Puerto de La Cruz was the place where tourism began in the Canaries. In 1886, this small port of La Orotava Valley established the first hospital of the Canary Islands to welcome sick tourists . It was also the first Spanish european resort. Nowadays remains as common destination for visitors from Germany, Britain and Spain, mainly.
It was originally a fishing village that grew as the local trade increased. The sugar trade was replaced by wine trade, establishing its export boom in the second half of the sixteenth century, giving way to a process of social and economic development.